Police with guns swoop on Blackpool street sparking four-and-a-half hour standoff - with 'crossbows and air rifles recovered' from house

Police carrying guns surrounded a house in Blackpool for almost five hours last night.

Wednesday, 24th April 2019, 12:14 pm
Updated Wednesday, 24th April 2019, 3:04 pm
Armed police surrounded a house in Marton last night

The force said officers were called to "a report of a concern for welfare" at a home in Langdale Road, Marton, just yards from Blackpool's police HQ at 7.45pm.

"Officers attended and, following information there may be weapons at the address, an armed containment was put on," a statement said.

"Following negotiation a 30-year-old man from Blackpool surrendered himself to police at 12.15am and was arrested on suspicion of assault.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"He is currently in custody. Nobody was injured."

The force said "a couple of crossbows and a couple of air rifles" were allegedly recovered.

One neighbour said she had been told "someone is holding someone hostage", but a spokesman quashed that rumour.

Another said terrified residents were not told what was happening but ordered to stay indoors.

Katie Allen, 26, of Troutbeck Crescent said: "The police wouldn't say what was going on but you knew it was something serious. We were just told to stay indoors.

"It was really scary just because there was armed police on your doorstep. It's not something that happens every day."

Paul Durbridge, 58, of Langdale Road said: "I know it sounds bad but it was really interesting to watch, especially from your window.

"I didn't speak to any police but I could hear them telling people move away or go inside."

Nathan Butler, 31, of Troutbeck Crescent said: "It was hard to tell which house they were in. There was lots of police but I suppose the station is only round the corner.

"Not many people went near the police. I think the guns might have warned them not to go asking."

Maureen Ford, 72 of Langdale Road said: "I couldn't get to sleep knowing all those police officers were outside with guns. It was really frightening.

"It was just after midnight when it finally ended. I saw someone being taken away but I couldn't see who it was."

Her husband Clive, 74, added: "We never have any trouble around here that is why I can't understand what has gone on.

"The police never told us what had gone on and they were gone by 1am."