Pensioner rescued in fire drama

Fire engine
Fire engine
Have your say

Firefighters were forced to break down the front door of a pensioner’s home when he became trapped during a fire.

The 68-year-old suffered burns to his legs and the effects of smoke inhalation when the fire took hold at his home on Molyneux Drive, South Shore, at 9.20pm on Wednesday.

Crews believe the blaze started when the man’s dressing gown caught fire from a cigarette, leaving him unable to move from his armchair.

The home quickly became smoke logged and triggered a smoke alarm which alerted the emergency services.

Three engines, two from Blackpool fire station and one from South Shore fire station, attended the scene and an ambulance was called to take the man to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

Paul Harrison, crew manager at South Shore fire station, said: “The man was taken to hospital with burns that were not thought to be serious and the fire service rescued him using breathing apparatus. At the moment, we think it was his dressing gown which set alight, possibly from a cigarette.

“Fire crews had to gain access using a door ram and the property was heavily smoke logged.

“When we got to him he was conscious but he had burns to his legs.”

Crews were at the scene for around one hour as they tackled the fire and made it safe for residents.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.