Parts of Blackpool’s South Pier cordoned off in safety scare

South Pier, Blackpool
South Pier, Blackpool

Parts of Blackpool’s South Pier are understood to have been closed following a safety scare.

A Blackpool Council spokesperson said: “Earlier this week we received a report that asbestos had been removed from South Pier without the necessary safety procedures in place.

“As a result we have issued prohibition notices which restricts access to the areas where asbestos may have been present.

“An investigation is now under way.”

One of the areas closed is believed to be an arcade, with the others non-public areas.

The fire service said that officers attended the pier on Thursday but in an advisory capacity, adding that the prohibition order incident was being led by the council.

No-one from South Pier was immediately available for comment.