FYLDE coast pupils stranded in America after Hurricane Sandy hammered the east coast are unable to fly home for another week.
Parents of the Montgomery High School students have said they are devastated by the news their children will be unable to return sooner.
They were yesterday informed the 14 and 15 year olds would not be flying home until Thursday or Friday next week, following days of worry and uncertainty.
Terri Evans, whose 14-year-old son Tom is on the trip, said: “I’m devastated, a week to wait is just ridiculous. I’m not worried, I just want him home.”
Mrs Evans, of Queen’s Promenade, Bispham, said she and other parents had been discussing the feasibility of flying out to America to bring their children back on sooner flights.
Christine Owen, of Neville Avenue, whose 14-year-old daughter Nicole is on the trip, said: “We’re devastated it’s going to be another week.
“Nicole is coming back on Thursday, others are coming back on Friday, I think the groups were chosen on who was upset.
“She’s been on the phone in tears.”
Parents have been assured there is no additional cost to them for the extra time spent away, with the school being allocated funds to cover costs.
Montgomery High School today confirmed travel plans had been arranged for the group of 27 students, and teachers.
Simon Brennand, the All Hallows Road school’s headteacher, said: “While I am disappointed it has not been possible to secure earlier flights, I recognise the bookings provided are in line with the experience of other schools in similar situations and challenges faced by the airlines.”
A new timetable has been made for the students to make the most of their extra time in Washington.
Mr Brennand added: “An updated itinerary has been devised for the remainder of the visit and spirits are exceptionally high among the travelling party, who are making the very most of their additional time in the US capital.”
The school said it wished to thank students, teachers and parents for their support and positive attitude in the last week.
Coun Amy Cross, whose Ingthorpe ward houses the school, said: “It is difficult but the priority is that they’re safe and well.”
Click here to read how The Gazette broke the story: