Orrell 0, Fylde RU 106

NICK Royle helped himself to seven of his side's 16 tries in Fylde's record league win, though this match could ultimately be best remembered for signalling a miserable end for a once proud club.

Orrell members could vote to call it a day at an extraordinary meeting tomorrow – the cash-strapped Wigan club have nowhere to play next season and have conceded 230 points without reply in their last two games.

The great over-achievers of northern rugby not so many years ago, Orrell may now fail to fulfil their final two National Three North fixtures, which would affect outstanding relegation issues.

Saturday's mammoth margin of defeat could have been even more embarrassing had not the sin-binning of Fylde flanker Dan Bowman brought a temporary halt to his side's try-scoring procession in the second half.

With Orrell's confidence at rock-bottom following their battering at Blaydon, Fylde were determined to hit them while they were down in the early minutes of their last league visit to Edge Hall Road.

They did precisely that, scoring in the first minute and adding two further tries to lead 19-0 before the game was 10 minutes old.

Orrell dropped the ball from the kick-off and Fylde went straight for the jugular, Royle racing in for the first of his magnificent tally.

Dan Fluker, deputising impressively at scrum-half with a series of fine breaks, scored the second try on four minutes and Royle's opposite winger Oliver Brennand, who has confirmed his commitment to the Fylde cause for the whole of next season, soon recorded the first of his two.

Yet it wasn't entirely one-way traffic. Indeed, Fylde only added one more score in the next 25 minutes – a Bowman try – as Orrell finally got a foothold in the contest.

With their no.8 Cocinio Nalilago outstanding, they seriously tested the Fylde defence before three tries in the final five minutes of the half put the match beyond them .

Royle, who cropped up all over the field in a bid to score with every touch, bagged all three to stretch the visitors' lead from 26-0 to an overwhelming 47-0 at the break.

Four Fylde substitutions – with Adam Levis, Alex Moffatt, Oliver Austin and Sam Beaumont all introduced for the second half – didn't disrupt the scoring sequence as the seven first-half tries were followed by nine more.

Again Fylde gave their demoralised hosts no time to settle, Dylan O'Grady scoring a typical no.8's try to complete the half-century within three minutes of the restart and adding a second four minutes later.

Just two more minutes elapsed before Royle completed a personal handful of tries, and by the time of his sixth on 57 minutes flanker Dan Waller had crossed as well.

Substitute Sam Beaumont made it six Fylde tries in 16 minutes and made watching father Bill's day.

Brennand scored his second on 65 minutes, just before Bowman's yellow card following a skirmish brought the hosts some desperately-needed despite.

But Paul Reeves got in on the scoring act on 80 minutes and fly-half John Armstrong's 13th and final successful conversion took Fylde past the 100 mark.

There were still eight minutes on the clock when Royle notched his seventh try of the game and 33rd of the season.

But at that point Fylde declared, having already piled more than enough misery on their hosts. Fylde are now almost certain to finish fifth; Orrell could well end up in oblivion.

After back-to-back wins, Fylde at least have the prospect of finishing another disappointing season with something of a flourish.

Their penultimate Three North fixture on Saturday week is at home to Cleckheaton – the team against whom they racked up their previous highest National League score of 58 two seasons ago.

Fylde: Blackburn; Royle, Cunliffe, Reeves, Brennand; Armstrong, Fluker; Simpson, Holmes, Clark, King, Bowman, Waller, O'Grady. Replacements: Moffat, Lewis, Austin, Beaumont.

n Fylde Saracens were 53-5 winners over Carnforth in North Lancs Two.