Arm sales to Saudi Arabia must cease
For over two years, Saudi Arabia has bombarded the people of Yemen.
The Saudi bombs have fallen on schools, hospitals, even a family funeral, and vast residential areas have been treated as military targets.
Over 10,000 civilians have died and the livelihoods of millions thrown into crisis.
Bombs dropped on Yemen are made in UK.
A huge range of voices have called to end the sales, including a vote in the European Parliament.
The Government was taken to court by people who argued arms sales were illegal and immoral,but two weeks ago the court ruled in the government’s favour a great disappointment .
Over 10,000 killed since 2015 when the Saudis began their brutal bombing campaign, using British warplanes, British bombs, British training, British military advice and British diplomatic cover.
The whole population is at risk of starving and water facilities are being targeted, leading to cholera.
The court judgement says some crucial points of us selling arms to all and sundry.
As shown in sickening and comprehensive detail by historian Mark Curtis, British foreign policy has been and remains a malign influence in the world, stirring up conflict and great bloodshed for cynical aims.
Only a radical transformation can end and begin to repair the damage caused by our rules.
Things must change,and we stop selling arms to blatantly murderous regime,we must all be involved working to achieve real peace throughout the world
The best woman at my wedding
In reference to Neil Inkley’s observation (Your View, July 24) that ‘One never hears of best women at weddings’.
He is not quite correct in his assertion.
Forty eight years at our wedding I had a Best Man and a Best Woman.
One was my brother and the other my wife.
Warbreck Hill Road Blackpool
Do more research on NHS, councillor
It is difficult to understand the letter from Conservative councillor Christian Cox (Your View, July 21) when he says the Red Cross and the Labour Party criticise the Conservative government over their running of the NHS.
He is happy that so many praise the nurses; of course we all do! He is staff nurse, so it is baffling why he appears so ignorant of the real issues, within our public health service, through policies of cuts to funding to aid the privatisation agenda of this government, including nurses pay cuts. He seems ignorant also of the many doctors who have complained about cuts in funding and privatisation that make their jobs difficult.
He appears oblivious of the number of private companies tendering for contracts to run services. Coun Cox must be aware of the closure of Chorley hospital last year, and the problems of Lewisham and Hinchinbrook hospitals.
Many national papers along with the Gazette have highlighted the difficulties of overwork of staff, brought on by the financial catastrophe enveloping the service that is causing stress and health problems for the many health workers struggling to keep the rest of us well!
He seems ignorant of the facts that the regulator Monitor has forced commissioners and hospitals to ‘advertise private alternatives’ when patients are referred for surgery. Cuts in funding have led to longer waiting lists for surgery so it puts pressure on patients to elect for a private hospital because waiting lists are shorter. Of course the NHS has to pick up the tab leaving less money for hospitals like our Victoria Hospital to keep functioning.
I would urge Coun Cox to do more research into his government’s dismantling of the NHS in favour of private insurance companies gaining control of it.
Haddon Road Blackpool
Invitation for asthma sufferers
I am writing to let you know that people in the Fylde coast with asthma are being invited to take part in an innovative new digital health project pilot that aims to reduce their risk of suffering asthma attacks.
Asthma UK’s 12-Week Asthma Support Programme, funded by a Department of Health Innovation Challenge Fund grant, will provide people with asthma with remote and virtual support from a team of specialist asthma nurses and psychologists who specialise in behavioural change, to reduce their chance of having an asthma attack.
Upon signing up for the pilot, people with asthma will receive personalised digital support that is easily and conveniently available to them wherever they are, via their smartphones.
The initial pilot will involve 30 people with asthma who have had an asthma attack in the last year, are aged between 18-67, live in England and have a smartphone.
After the initial pilot, a further 320 people will be recruited to join a second phase of the pilot inform recruited from autumn 2017.
Anyone who is interested in taking part in the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme pilot can find out more and sign up at www.asthma.org.uk/asthma-support-programme