NATIONAL NEWS: Swimming pool where three-year-old boy drowned issues statement about incident

Share this article

Staff at a swimming pool where a three-year-old Leeds boy drowned today are 'deeply saddened' and 'shocked' by the tragedy.

David Lloyd leisure centre on Tongue Lane has been closed today after a boy entered the pool and drowned at about 9.30am.

The pool has been closed

The pool has been closed

A spokesman for the club said the boy was swimming with his family when the incident happened and club teams rescued the boy from the water and administered CPR.


The boy was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he was later pronounced dead.

A spokesman for David Lloyd leisure centre said: "We are deeply saddened by today’s incident at our Leeds club.

"The child was swimming with his family in our indoor pool at the time of the incident.

"He was found unconscious just after 9.30am this morning, and was rescued from the water.

"Our club teams are fully trained to deal with incidents of this nature, and they immediately administered CPR and the emergency services were called.

"He was taken to hospital by ambulance, accompanied by his mother.

"All of our team at the club are deeply shocked and our thoughts are very much with the boy’s family at this very sad time."


James John-Lewis, a regular at the club, came down from Cheshire to play tennis with a friend and was surprised by how quiet it was.

He said: "It's such a young life, how can something like that happen?

"I'm shocked, I'm gobsmacked. It's a very well-run club.

"It's always busy in the morning.

"Such a young life. My condolences go out to the family. It's very sad news."

Police are treating the incident as a 'tragic accident'.

Mahmoud Moiassari, 58, a member of 15 years, came to pick up his son Ash, 13, who had intended to use the centre.

He said: "It's absolutely terrible. My son's already in shock. So unfortunate, so sad. My thoughts are obviously with the family.

" It's heartbreaking to be honest. My heart goes to the family, losing their kid. You can't comprehend."

His son Ash said: "I just saw lots of police in the building. One of the workers told us a little boy has died in the indoor swimming pool. It's a shock, this has never happened to me before."