Mystery pain led to woman’s suicide

Janette Warburton.
Janette Warburton.
Have your say

A mum of two jumped to her death from the top storey of a Blackpool car park after becoming depressed due to a mystery pain in her face.

Janette Warburton, 58, had suffered with the excruciating pain for more than a year, and it had left her struggling to eat and sleep, Blackpool Coroner’s Court heard.

The inquest heard Mrs Warburton, of Honister Avenue, had told her husband David that she was too ill to go into the Whitegate Health Centre after they arrived there for a dental appointment to investigate the problem on March 29.

He went in to explain, but when he returned to the car his wife had gone.

The court heard she had gone up to the fifth storey of the Talbot Road car park, where civil enforcement officer Craig Walker saw her climbing a barrier.

He shouted ‘come back’, but she said ‘I’m going’ and jumped.

Mrs Warburton (pictured) was rushed to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but was pronounced dead.

Her GP, Andrew Garstang, said Mrs Warburton had first reported her problem on January 11, 2013 and had been diagnosed with neuralgia.

She was referred to the maxillofacial team at Blackpool Victoria, which later discounted the possibility her problem was due to two tooth implants and believed it may have been caused by a fractured dental filling.

Mrs Warburton was prescribed medication including morphine, beta-blockers, temazepam, diazepam, steroids and anti-depressants to ease the pain and symptoms including depression, anxiety and insomnia. But only one injection a month before she died helped and there was still no definitive diagnosis.

The court heard the situation had affected Mrs Warburton’s mental health.

After her death, her sister Carol Clements found she had accessed websites about jumping from height.

In a statement Mr Warburton said he believed his wife had not received the help she needed.

He said he had disputed a decision to discharge her from Royal Preston Hospital on March 19, where she had been admitted as an inpatient.

Psychiatrist Gillian Strachan said Mrs Warburton had received visits from the Lancashire Care Trust’s crisis team, amid concerns about her mental health.

But she cancelled the visits following her discharge from hospital having resisted seeing a psychologist.

Dr Strachan said while Mrs Warburton had been depressed she had denied having any intention of suicide.

But two notes written by Mrs Warburton were found at her home, including one talking about not wanting to live any more.

Blackpool and Fylde coroner, Alan Wilson, accepted Mrs Warburton had intended to take her own life and the post-mortem conclusion she had died from multiple injuries following a fall.

He said there was no evidence of any ‘gross failing’ in her care and that she had not met criteria to be sectioned.

Her daughter Shelley Jacobs, who lives in Leicestershire and did not attend the hearing, said afterwards: “Mum was vibrant, with a real sense of humour. She loved to travel and make cocktails.

“It’s tragic that my seven-month old son Sawyer, her first grandchild, will not know his nana.”