Mum’s the word for blogger Carla

Carla Lett with 10-month-old George Lett
Carla Lett with 10-month-old George Lett
Have your say

St Annes mum Carla Lett nearly missed her own wedding due to pregnancy complications which could have killed her and her son.

She had a condition called placenta previa – a low placenta. She has since written blogs about motherhood and set up a website – to help other parents. She has nearly 5,000 followers on Twitter and 2,100 on Facebook. She tells her story to Eve.

“You have placenta previa, blocking your baby’s exit,’ the nurse stated at my 20-week scan, ‘they often move, but in rare occasions they don’t and could result in a C-section at 39 weeks. You’re booked in for another scan at 32 weeks, we will go from there.’

“I nodded along and headed back to work with my 20-week scan, waving it round like a proud mummy.

“Later that evening, I began looking into what it meant. ‘In rare occasions it can result in one big bleed and the mother can lose litres of blood in a matter of minutes and it can result in death for mother and the baby if not seen to in time,’ I read out to my partner. I was a little worried, but tried to remain positive.

“Around 26 weeks pregnant, I began experiencing bleeds, they were small, but I was advised to head to hospital as a bigger bleed could be the way. I had to stay in hospital for around 48 hours. This continued at least once a week right up to the week before the wedding. The nurses told me I may not make it to my wedding day, a tear fell down my cheek.

“Luckily I didn’t experience any bleeding before the wedding and got married to my soulmate on March 26.

“I began having bleeds again after the wedding. On the last occasion I was 33 weeks. I was kept in hospital overnight, I woke up around 1.45am and my bed was covered in blood. I rang for the nurse and before I knew it, I was rushed to theatre and nurses were shouting ‘she’s lost too much blood, the baby needs to come out now’.

“George was born at 2.14am weighing a tiny 4lb 12oz, he wasn’t breathing initially and had to be resuscitated and we both had to have blood transfusions. The nurses said if I was at home, both George and I wouldn’t have made it. George was put into intensive care in the neo-natal unit in Blackpool, and after three weeks, he came home.

“I started keeping a diary to write down my thoughts and feelings about motherhood and it made me feel better, so I decided I would like to help other parents by creating a website full of helpful articles.

“The website,, has articles on pre-conception, pregnancy and after birth, reviews on products, days out and services, I write humorous blogs and it includes a baby, toddler and pre-school directory of classes, groups, businesses and events on in the whole of the UK.

“I already have over 4,000 listings on my directory. My social media has grown massively and the support I have received has been incredible.”