Mum’s fears for son as brain clot found

Reece Roberts at the Royal Preston Hospital with his mum Millissa Roberts
Reece Roberts at the Royal Preston Hospital with his mum Millissa Roberts
Have your say

A distraught mum is standing strong at her son’s bedside, amid fears he could lose his fight for life.

Milissa Roberts is treasuring each hour that goes by with her son, Reece, after his condition took a turn for the worse during an operation.

The former Blackpool and The Fylde College student has been in Royal Preston Hospital for the last five months, since he was punched in the head in an unprovoked assault outside Bar 19, on Queen Street, Blackpool.

His family had hoped he would recover after having an operation to fit metal plates in his head, but the 25-year-old was placed on a life support machine last week when doctors discovered a blood clot in his brain.

Mum-of-three Milissa said: “I can’t believe this has happened, after everything he’s gone through.

“It’s like a vicious circle and I don’t want to go through it all again.

“If you could see him it would break your heart because he is really bad.

“They are saying he is stable, but haven’t said anything else, so I know this is serious.

“I feel helpless. My baby is going through so much, and I don’t think he is strong enough now.

“I just hope he pulls through.”

The 42-year-old hoped Reece’s chances of recovery would be improved after the operation, however, she received a phone call from the hospital informing her Reece was vomiting and a blood clot had been found in his brain.

She added: “I didn’t think it would come to this. They said he could improve after the operation.

“Reece has been amazing and is a fighter. I told him after the plates were put in that the worst was over, but it’s only just beginning.”

l Thomas Field, 26, of no fixed address, has pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm at Preston Crown Court. He has been remanded into custody until his sentencing hearing on April 2.