Mother’s warning after she loses son

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A MOTHER has issued a drugs warning after her son died of a massive overdose at the age of 17.

Michael Yusuf, of London Street, Fleetwood, was poisoned by a combination of amphetamine and methadone.

Michael Yusuf

Michael Yusuf

And an inquest heard the quantities of each one alone would have been sufficient to kill him.

After a verdict of misadventure was recorded, Michael’s mum Belinda said she believed someone had misled her son over the drugs.

She told the Gazette: “He was not stupid he would not have taken those drugs deliberately. He was sorting his life out.

“Someone let him take it.

“I was aware he had taken drugs before but it was cannabis - nothing heavy.

“I don’t think he can have known how strong it was.

“This should be a warning to others. People could end up like my son.”

Belinda said Michael, a former pupil at Cardinal Allen RC High School, had a poor attendance record at school but had been receiving training through Beneast and Connexions and was looking forward to starting work.

She said: “He was doing really well and I am proud of him. He was a quiet lad but he would help you in any way if he could.”

Pathologist Mark Sissons said Michael had taken more than twice what would have been a fatal dose of methadone and more than three times what would have been a fatal dose of amphetamine.

Joanne McLellan, who lived in the same flats as Mrs Yusuf and her son, told the inquest Michael had gone out with her nephew on July 12 and returned about midnight.

At 3.15am she saw him sitting in a doorway and he told her he was hearing voices in his head and she promised to take him to the doctor’s in the morning.

But the following day Michael was unresponsive and had to be taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital where attempts to revive him failed.