Mereside: Housing estate’s past captured in glorious archive pictures

Langdale Road Mereside Estate in 1952
Langdale Road Mereside Estate in 1952

Archive photographs transport us back in time to the Mereside estate in Blackpool, in years gone-by.

These black-and-white pictures show how the housing estate looked throughout the last century, including some sights no longer there today.

Mereside playground, off Bowness Avenue, 1959:  "A safe place for children to play, without danger from traffic"

Mereside playground, off Bowness Avenue, 1959: "A safe place for children to play, without danger from traffic"

A section of Mereside branch library which opened in the old Little Marton School  in 1958, the library contained 3,500 books

A section of Mereside branch library which opened in the old Little Marton School in 1958, the library contained 3,500 books

The sod cutting ceremony on the site of the new Methodist Church hall at the junction of Grizedale Road and Kentmere Drive, Mereside, 1958

The sod cutting ceremony on the site of the new Methodist Church hall at the junction of Grizedale Road and Kentmere Drive, Mereside, 1958

Little Marton School, Bowness Avenue, Mereside, in 1953

Little Marton School, Bowness Avenue, Mereside, in 1953

Little Marton Windmill and malthouse or miller's house, Preston New Road , Blackpool. The windmill is undergoing renovation prior to the demolition of the house in 1957.

Little Marton Windmill and malthouse or miller's house, Preston New Road , Blackpool. The windmill is undergoing renovation prior to the demolition of the house in 1957.