Man tells of shock after oven explodes

John Humphreys was less than impressed when his oven exploded
John Humphreys was less than impressed when his oven exploded
0
Have your say

A man today told of his shock when his oven exploded and sent shard of glass flying across his kitchen.

Nobody was hurt in the blast – although John Humphreys’ said his tea was ruined.

My wife could have been at the counter doing preparations or something. It is obviously a safety issue.

Mr Humphreys

The 59-year-old’s food was waiting in the oven, which had been switched off, for him when he got back to his Warton home after the Blackpool FC match last week.

He was upstairs getting changed when he heard a loud “bang”.

He said: “The oven door just exploded all over the kitchen.

“Fortunately nobody was hurt but there was glass under the table and in the dog’s food bowl.”

He said he was told he would have to pay for an engineer to come and inspect the faulty oven before he can get it replaced – despite it only being around four months old.

However, he believes he should not be left out of pocket following the incident, which happened at around 10pm on Tuesday.

Mr Humphreys, of Canberra Way, added: “It’s not our fault. I shouldn’t have to pay for anything.

“We use it every day – it’s been fine.

“My tea was still in it waiting for me to get back from the football, switched off but still warm.

“I was just upstairs getting changed but I head it.

“Fortunately the dog was outside at the time – it could have been very different.

“My wife could have been at the counter doing preparations or something. It is obviously a safety issue.”

The case is remarkably similar to an incident in Fleetwood last year, when Carol Jordan said her grandson was lucky not to have been seriously injured by an exploding oven.

Mr Humphreys said his oven is the same as the model she had.

Speaking to The Gazette at the time, Mrs Jordan said the explosion sounded like a “bomb” going off.

She bought her oven at the same branch of B&Q – Whitehills Business Park, in Marton – as Mr Humphreys. She ended up having her appliance collected for inspection.

B&Q said at the time they believed the problem was an “isolated incident”.

When The Gazette ran Mrs Jordan’s story on July 31, 2014, a B&Q spokesman said: “Customer safety is always the highest priority.

“We take the greatest care in ensuring the products we sell conform to the highest quality standards and are safe for their intended use.”

The store did not respond to requests for a comment on this occasion.