Man’s firebomb and kill threats

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court
0
Have your say

A man has been banned by a judge from contacting his mum and stepdad.

Darren Shaw had threatened to kill his stepdad and firebomb the couple’s home – on the day he was released from custody.

Shaw, 33, of Lindsay Avenue, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and two offences of damage.

The judge told him: “I agree with the Probation Service that this was impulsive and reckless behaviour. There was no excuse for behaviour like that.”

Adrian Hollamby, prosecuting, said Shaw turned up at his mother and stepfather’s home on December 5. When the stepfather opened the door Shaw said he was going to kill him.

Shaw started pulling up bushes in the garden, then threatened to firebomb the address. He swung his arms at his stepfather.

After this he damaged the stepfather’s car and the stepfather’s son’s car.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client had been in custody on remandand committed the offences on the day he was released from prison.

While in custody he had had messages of abusive from his family, he told the court.

He had something to drink and went round to his mum’s home.

Mr Townley added: “He was drunkenly throwing wild haymaker punches and he ended up on the floor. He has since got help from specialists for his drinking.”

Shaw was sentenced to a 12-month community order with up to 20 days’ rehabilitation to be supervised by the Probation Service, put on an eight-week curfew from 7pm to 7am and ordered to pay £300 compensation.

He was also made the subject of a two-year restraining order which bans him from contacting his mum Deborah and stepfather Mark or going to their home road in the resort’s Airdale Avenue by Blackpool magistrates.