Man helped out of burning flat

Neighbours helped rescue a man from his burning flat after hearing a smoke alarm sounding.

Sunday, 15th May 2016, 10:42 am
Updated Sunday, 15th May 2016, 11:50 am
Pleasant Street, Blackpool. Image courtesy of Google

The man in his 50s had fallen asleep and had not noticed a fire had started in the third floor property in Pleasant Street, Blackpool.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Worried neighbours kicked the door down shortly before fire crews arrived at around 8pm on Saturday, then officers wearing breathing apparatus led the man to safety.

He was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire is thought to be discarded smoking materials.