Man crushed in wall collapse at block of flats

The scene of the collapsed wall in Ansdell in which a man was injured
The scene of the collapsed wall in Ansdell in which a man was injured
Have your say

A takeaway owner today spoke of the terrifying moments a man lay motionless after an entire wall gave way and collapsed on him.

It happened as work was being carried out behind shops on Woodlands Road, Ansdell, to install a new water pipe for a hairdressing salon.

The wall which separates two flats behind the row of shops collapsed at around 11.30am yesterday and fell on top of a 40-year-old man.

Insp Gary Roberts, of Blackpool Police, confirmed a man had gone to Blackpool Victoria with “crush injuries”.

Rumen Karadzhinov, 45, owner of Food Fest on Woodlands Road, ran to try and assist when he heard the wall collapse.

He said: “I came out the shop to see a man almost entirely covered by bricks,

“I had no idea what had happened.

“We tried to lift the wall off him but it was just so heavy and it would slip back on to him under the weight so we had to wait for the fire crews.

“Everyone was panicking as he (the trapped man) said he could not breathe.”

Mr Karadzhinov called emergency services after finding the 40-year-old man submerged in bricks.

Fire crews from St Annes and Lytham attended, as well as police and paramedics.

Insp Roberts added: “It could have been much worse – it’s lucky that sand underneath the wall might have broke the fall.

“The council will now be investigating the matter to find out the exact cause.”

Watch manager Steve Barnes, of St Annes fire 
station, said: “A joining wall between two properties had collapsed and a man was trapped underneath.

“He was released prior to us being there and we assisted with first aid.”

Lauren Dewhurst, who works at The Salon on Woodlands Road said: “He looked in a bad way. I really hope he is OK.

“My parents own one of the flats where the wall is.

“It has been there for 150 years and we have never had any problems with it before, I can’t understand how it has happened.”

A North West Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed: “We were called at 11.30am. We took a male patient, complaining of chest and back pain, by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

“His injuries are not life threatening.”