Man, 63, collapses after street assault

editorial image
Have your say

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a vicious street attack.

A 63-year-old man collapsed and ended up in intensive care at Blackpool Victoria Hospital following the shocking assault near the Sandyforth Arms.

The man had been walking along Trunnah Road after enjoying a drink in the pub when he was jumped on in the street.

His attacker approached him from behind and punched him in the head, causing him to fall to the ground.

Police believe the attacker continued the horrific assault as the victim lay on the pavement.

Det Con Mick Englishby, from Wyre CID, today described the attack as “unprovoked”.

He said: “The victim spent a number of days in intensive care.

“This really is a nasty assault.

“The victim left the public house alone.

“He was walking along Trunnah Road when he has been assaulted.

“We believe he was attacked from the back and knocked to the floor.

“He was punched to the right side of his head and judging by his injuries he could also have been kicked.

“It appears to be a cowardly, unprovoked attack.”

The incident happened on Sunday, April 24 at around 8.30pm.

The man was walking on Trunnah Road at the junction of Fleetwood Road North when his attacker struck.

After the attack, the victim, who is from Thornton, managed to make it back to the pub but then collapsed.

Staff at the pub went to his aid and called the police and ambulance service.

A spokesman for the Sandyforth Arms said: “The man came into the pub and his head was bleeding from where he’d fallen.

“Someone put a cloth on his head.

“He then collapsed so we put him in the recovery position and kept people away while we waited for the paramedics to arrive.”

The victim was rushed to Blackpool Victoria Hospital where he was placed in the intensive care unit as a precaution.

He had a laceration to his right eye and was treated for cuts and bruises to the face and ribs.

The man is now said to be recovering well at home.

Detectives at Fleetwood police station are now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Det Con Englishby added: “I would appeal to anyone who saw what happened to come forward.

“The victim had a laceration to his right eye and very badly bruised ribs.

“He was rendered unconscious in the pub and staff went to his assistance.

“Police and ambulance were called to the scene and he was taken to hospital.

“He has got quite bad injuries, he still has bandages on and is now recovering at home.

“Those responsible must be caught and brought to justice and I would appeal for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.”

Anyone with information can call Lancashire police on 0845 1 25 35 45.

Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.