Lifesavers on two wheels

Dean Kelly in the centre, with Staff Nurses Joseph Demegillo (left) and Norfrey Almira.
Dean Kelly in the centre, with Staff Nurses Joseph Demegillo (left) and Norfrey Almira.
Have your say

A KEEN cyclist is back in the saddle and has met the two nurses who saved his life during a charity bike ride.

Dean Kelly, 52, from St Annes, collapsed after having a heart attack when he was taking part in the Beaverbrooks Charity Bike Ride last June.

Fortunately two staff nurses from Blackpool Victoria Hospital were also taking part in the event, and rushed to his side to resuscitate him before the air ambulance arrived.

And thanks to the efforts of Joseph Demegillo and Norfrey Almira, Dean made it safely to Preston Royal Hospital, where he was placed into an induced coma and his condition was stabilised. He later underwent a quadruple bypass operation at the Cardiac Centre in The Vic.

Mr Kelly told The Gazette: “I don’t remember much about the day, I remember feeling sluggish and experiencing tunnel vision after I started the race.

“I’d cycled 12 miles of the course to Salwick when the heart attack happened, and I fell backwards off my bike.

“I was so lucky Joseph and Norfrey were there, their outstanding efforts were the difference between life and death for me.

“If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t have been kept alive in the vital minutes until the North West Air Ambulance arrived.

“I think it’s also thanks to their quick efforts my heart muscle sustained hardly any damage as a result of the attack, which meant I was able to return to full fitness after my operation.”

Dean has made such a successful recovery he competed in the 2012 Beaverbrooks Charity Bike Ride.

And he has met the two nurses who helped save his life.

He added: “Getting to meet Joseph and Norfrey has been the highlight of my year and to ride with them was extra special, they are very special people.

Josef, who works on Ward 26 at The Vic, said it was a pleasure to help.

He added: “Dean looked brilliant when we met him – he looked really well and had lost a lot of weight.

“We thought he’d had an accident when we came across him last year, but when we found no injury, instinct took over as we realised he wasn’t breathing.

“I’m just really glad we could help and that he’s back and fighting fit now.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.