Lancashire man killed in shark attack

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A LANCASHIRE man has been killed by a shark in the Seychelles.

The 30-year-old victim, named by police as Ian Redmond, was reportedly on honeymoon when the attack happened yesterday off Anse Lazio beach on Praslin, the second largest island in the archipelago.

One onlooker said she saw the victim’s wife saying she “still had hope” for her husband while he lay on the beach with horrific injuries.

Jeanne Vargiolu, 56, owner of the nearby Le Chevalier restaurant, said she went to the beach after hearing ambulance sirens to find a French doctor treating the man and “a lot of police officers” surrounding him.

She said police told her the man had lost one arm, had a badly damaged leg and holes in his chest and stomach from shark bites.

“I saw his wife talking to about five people, I think one was English, that she still had hope he was still alive,” she said.

She added: “They were trying to help him but they could not get him alive.”

The Foreign Office confirmed the death of a Briton on the islands where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge recently had their honeymoon.

“We are providing consular assistance to the next of kin,” said a Foreign Office spokesman.

An employee at the four-star La Reserve hotel confirmed the man was staying there with his wife.

According to reports, a 36-year-old French tourist died on August 1 after he suffered injuries which appeared to have been caused by a shark. AFP France quoted police spokesman Jean Toussaint as saying the man’s injuries looked like a shark bite, and reported that the victim had been diving in the Anse Lazio area.

Ms Vargiolu said no one swam in the sea after yesterday’s attack as they were “in shock”.

Her family have lived on the beach for 36 years and she said the two shark attacks this month were the first she had seen. “It must be the same shark,” she said.

Ms Vargiolu said she closed her restaurant at 4pm because there were no tourists on the beach as it was raining, but the sun came out soon after and with it the holidaymakers arrived.

She said police told her they were going “to put out a net to try and catch the shark”.