Lancashire man dies after party incident

Have your say

The wife of a father of two who died following a bottle attack at a star-studded party said today that his death was “completely and utterly devastating”.

Philip Sherriff, 37, from Preston in Lancashire, died yesterday morning after being struck by a bottle on Tuesday at a party hosted by his employer, smartphone company BlackBerry.

Philip Sherriff

Philip Sherriff

Mr Sherriff’s wife Jane, 34, said: “Phil was the most genuine, likeable and generous man you could ever hope to meet.

“He was a perfect husband, son, and father to our daughter aged eight and son aged five.

“His death is completely and utterly devastating.”

Singer Jessie J said she was “lost for words” after the telecoms worker died.

The Brit Award-winner performed at the function and in a Twitter posting wrote: “I am lost for words.

“All I can say is my thoughts, love and respects are with the family and children of the man who attended the blackberry gig last week who sadly lost his life this morning ... So sad.”

Mr Sherriff was rushed to the Royal London Hospital in the early hours of Wednesday morning after suffering a neck injury at the Pulse nightclub.

Medics were later forced to operate to remove pressure from an injury to his brain.

But he remained in a critical condition and died yesterday morning.

BlackBerry posted a message of condolence on its official UK Twitter page following the news.

It said: “We are deeply saddened to hear our colleague has died as a result of the attack on Tuesday 3rd April.

“Our thoughts are with his family and those close to him and we ask for the respect of their privacy at this difficult time.”

Mr Sherriff had been invited to the BlackBerry function in central London along with a string of celebrities. These included rapper Wretch 32 and stars of reality show The Only Way Is Essex.

Police said today that Mrs Sherriff was being supported by officers from both the Metropolitan Police and Lancashire Constabulary and requested the family be left to grieve in peace.

Ashley Charles, a 25-year-old company director, was remanded in custody after he was charged over the attack which police are now investigating as murder.

Charles, of Nevanthon Road, Leicester, spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth when he appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Saturday, accused of attempted murder.

The defendant, dressed in a dark jumper and jeans, was ordered to attend Inner London Crown Court on April 20.

An application for bail was refused.