Jake’s bubbly again after close squeak

Jake the dog bit off more than he could chew when he swallowed the squeaker from this favourite toy
Jake the dog bit off more than he could chew when he swallowed the squeaker from this favourite toy
Share this article
Have your say

A mischievous puppy bit off more than he could chew when he accidentally swallowed the squeaker from his favourite toy.

Six-month-old cocker spaniel Jake was rushed to Blackpool’s PDSA pet hospital by his owner Joanne Rose, 42, after he ripped open his favourite soft toy and gulped down the plastic squeaker inside.

An X-ray of the squeaker in Jake's stomach

An X-ray of the squeaker in Jake's stomach

Joanne, who lives in Warton, said: “I did my best to get him to drop it but within seconds he swallowed it whole!

“In a state of sheer panic I rang PDSA ­and they told me to bring him in straight away.”

X-rays confirmed that Jake required immediate surgery to remove the squeaker from his stomach, and he was taken in for an hour-long operation at the surgery on Hawes Side Lane.

Joanne added: “I was completely devastated to find out that my bouncy little pup needed life-saving surgery. Jake is so loving and I was beside myself with worry.

“Thankfully he has recovered really well and we’ve been able to take him back out for short walks on his lead.

“PDSA have been absolutely brilliant and we’re so pleased they were able to help Jake so quickly – it stopped the accident from becoming a serious disaster.”

PDSA vet Terry Ogdin said: “As a small puppy, Jake was more at risk of complications from swallowing the squeaker than a larger dog, which is why immediate surgery was critical.

“If left untreated, the squeaker would have passed through into his intestines and may have caused a tear or blockage, which can be fatal.

“Luckily Joanne acted quickly and rushed him to PDSA before the squeaker had time to reach the intestines and cause any damage.”

He added: “During the festive period, it’s important to stop and think before giving your pet a toy that might be easily swallowed.

“To help avoid this from happening, owners should give their pets dog-specific, durable toys that won’t come apart easily.

“These should be an appropriate size for the dog to prevent swallowing or choking.

“If toys and chews are starting to look worn, it’s best to discard them straight away.”

Joanne added that she wanted to support PDSA’s ‘Save a Star’ campaign, which is raising funds to support the emergency veterinary care that the charity provides.

She said: “I want Jake’s story to help raise awareness of the life-saving work PDSA does, saving thousands of sick and injured pets across the UK every day.”

People can donate to the campaign at www.saveastar.co.uk