Jail for Blackpool rapist

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN who raped a drunken 14-year-old girl in a park was today waking up behind bars.

Preston Crown Court heard how the victim had agreed to meet Ryan Barker and he began plying her with vodka at Kingscote Park in Layton.

She got so drunk she repeatedly blacked out and was discovered in the bushes with Barker by two women walking their dogs.

The 23-year-old of Ascot Road, Layton, had earlier admitted rape and was appearing in court for sentencing.

Kirsten McAteer, prosecuting, said he had previously “talked dirty” to her in messages.

But the victim later accepted having replied in a similar vein, believing he was joking.

Barker apologised for making such comments and they arranged to meet on the night of July 2.

The girl was going to meet him for a drink, to cheer herself up at a time she was having difficulties.

Barker promised he would not touch her and they would just be friends, said the prosecution.

She and a friend met him at a KFC in Blackpool. He had vodka with him.

The three went to the park and started drinking. The girl apparently got so drunk on vodka she was blacking out.

Miss McAteer added: “Her recollection of what subsequently happened was sketchy. She remembered him giving her love bites. She was asking him to stop.

“The prosecution say she was too drunk to give any valid consent to what was happening.”

The girl blacked out twice more during the attack.

The court heard two women walking their dogs came upon the scene and called the police. They followed the group into bushes.

One of them asked the defendant: “What do you think you’re doing?” while one told him “You’re in trouble. The police are on their way”.

The women looked after the girl until the police arrived.

Virginia Hayton, defending, said the offence had not been pre-meditated.

She added: “He didn’t arrange to meet her and ply her with alcohol to facilitate the offence.

“It was spontaneity which took over, no doubt as a result of the volume of alcohol he had consumed.”

Miss Hayton said there was a different side to Barker. He was hard working and had looked after elderly relatives.

The barrister added “He has been deeply shocked by his own behaviour. He can’t believe he behaved as he did.”

Jailing him for five years and four months, Judge Norman Wright told Barker he will be on the sex offenders register indefinitely, banned from working with children and barred from any unsupervised contact with under-16s or from approaching or seeking to communicate with the girl.

The judge told him: “The girl was clearly far too drunk to consent. The alcohol you consumed no doubt disinhibited you.

“You were the person who supplied her with the alcohol.

“I’m prepared to accept this wasn’t planned, that it was something that developed.”