'It's like a big sporting family'
A Blackpool 'walk-on girl' says she is saddened by the decision of the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) to axe the tradition.
The PDC announced earlier this week the long-established practice of women escorting male players to the stage would be abandoned, after talks with broadcasters.
But Jade Slusarczyk, who has been a walk-on girl with Sky Sports for seven years and worked at major darts and snooker events across the country, said she was disappointed.
The 32-year-old former Miss Poulton, from Blackpool, said: “Some people say having walk-on girls is demeaning or degrading, but I do not feel degraded at all.
“I’ve done so many events, I’ve done exhibitions and appearances all over England, in Europe and in America. I love it.
“I’ve been able to travel and see different places.
“I don’t wear skimpy outfits, I wear classy, knee-length dresses. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable or to do anything I didn’t want to do, there’s never been anything untoward.
“It’s like a big sporting family – I’ve made so many friends through it.”
A spokesman for the PDC said: “We regularly review all aspects of our events and this move has been made following feedback from our host broadcasters.”
A petition has been started by fans, calling for the girls to be reinstated.
• You can read more about Jade’s views and her experiences as a walk-on girl in Tuesday’s Eve.