A dad-of-two who was subjected to a vicious street attack which left him with a catalogue of injuries today told how he feels “lucky” to have survived.
Daniel Burgess, 42, who lives in central Blackpool, was left unconscious in the street after being violently attacked by two men – one of them thought to have been armed with a knuckle-duster – outside a town centre bar.
Mr Burgess, who works as a catering manager, suffered a fractured skull in three places, a broken nose and cracked ribs in the unprovoked assault.
His injuries were so severe surgeons had to glue is skull back together.
Police today made a plea for two women who stopped to help the victim as he lay unconscious to get in touch as part of their efforts to bring the attackers to justice.
Mr Burgess told how the attack on him bears a chilling resemblance to the assault on Reece Roberts, who was left with brain damage following an attack outside a bar last September.
He said: “I used to work with Reece’s mum Milissa years ago and I remember seeing Reece growing up – that could have been me.
“I’m lucky because the doctors reckon the dizziness will subside in time and hopefully my hearing will come back.
“It could have been a lot worse. But I feel no pity for the people who have done this to me and I will do my bit to make sure they get what they deserve.
“When you go on a night out you expect to wake up the next morning in your own bed, not in a hospital with tubes sticking out of you.”
The incident happened at around 1.30am on April 27, when Mr Burgess was knocked unconscious by a single blow to the face.
He fell and hit the back of his head on the pavement.
It is then believed one of the attackers then kicked him while he was on the ground outside Ma Kelly’s at the junction of Talbot Road and Dickson Road.
Mr Burgess said: “I don’t remember much about the attack, just that one of them struck me with a knuckle-duster.”
Mr Burgess was taken to hospital where doctors discovered the catalogue of injuries.
Despite being discharged from Blackpool Victoria Hospital last week, Mr Burgess said he is still unable to work as the attack has left him dizzy and deaf in his left ear.
And he feared the attack, which police say was unprovoked, could easily have left him with more serious permanent damage – like Blackpool student Reece, who has been left in a wheelchair following a similar assault outside Bar 19 in Queen Street, Blackpool.
Reece was punched once in the face and he fell and banged his head.
After months fighting for his life the 25-year-old is still in hospital with permanent brain damage.
Mr Burgess’ head wound was so severe doctors had to glue it back together and a blood clot in his left ear has left him unable to walk properly.
Staff at the hospital had to monitor him for 24 hours in case the bleeding on his brain got worse.
He said: “It was touch and go for a while whether they would have to take me to Royal Preston Hospital.
“The loss of balance is like nothing I have ever experienced. I am bumping into things – it’s like being permanently drunk.
“It has stopped me working and I don’t know when I will be able to go back.”
Police have praised the two women who gave Mr Burgess basic first aid following the attack.
Detectives said one of the attackers had a weapon, but officers have not confirmed exactly what it was.
Det Con Chris Sanderson, of Blackpool Police, said: “We really need to speak to these women. We know from CCTV footage they provided first aid.
“We would appeal for anyone with information to call 101.”
Two men have been arrested and bailed following the attack.