A couple escaped unharmed after a freak lightning bolt hit their home.
The bolt set fire to the roof of a house in Lingmoor Close, Hawkley Hall, at 7.30pm on Thursday.
The homeowners were only alerted to the blaze when a neighbour knocked on their door to tell them their roof was in flames.
Fire crews from across the borough attended, using specialist equipment and hose reels to put out the blaze.
They left the scene at midnight.
Crew manager Jim Clitheroe said: “The couple heard a bang but did not realise until a neighbour ran over to say lightning had hit the roof.
“It was an extensive fire and caused a lot of damage.
“The fire service did a really good job in containing the fire in the roof.
“The neighbours showed great community spirit in letting the couple in their homes.”