Hotel guests flee fire drama

Fire crews were called
Fire crews were called
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a St Annes hotel.

Ninety guests from the Glendower Hotel on North Promenade were evacuated around 5.30pm on Saturday after a fire broke out in the laundry room.

Two crews from St Annes fire station arrived at the scene to find the room heavily smoke logged.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a ventilation unit to clear the smoke.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “It was accidental. The hotel did a great job of evacuating the premises by following the hotel procedures.

“One person suffering effects of smoke inhalation was taken to hospital for a precautionary check up.”

One basket of tea towels was damaged in the fire.

Andrew Haworth, director of the Glendower Hotel, said: “A member of staff got taken to hospital as a precaution and was discharged as being fine.

“Some kitchen cloths had been packed after coming out of the dryer and had self-ignited.

“I would like to say thanks to the fire service. The team at the hotel worked well together and did a great job.

“Guests were allowed back in after about 20 minutes.”