Heroin dealer is jailed

Locked up: Connor Thomas was jailed for two years
Locked up: Connor Thomas was jailed for two years
Have your say

A drug dealer who claimed he was under pressure from others higher up the “chain” has been jailed for two years.

Connor Thomas was arrested after police used a battering ram to break down the door during a raid on an address in Ibbison Court, Blackpool.

Another man linked to cannabis supplying and who was also at the Ibbison Court address, was handed a suspended prison sentence for his part.

Connor Thomas, 22, of no fixed address, had admitted charges of possessing heroin and crack cocaine with intent to supply. He had also pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

The drugs raid occurred on March 18 this year.

Rachel White, prosecuting at Preston Crown Court, said Thomas was there at the time. A phone belonging to him was found in the loft. A thousand pounds cash was also seized.

Three knotted heroin packages, plus six crack cocaine packages were found. These had a street value of £90.

Thomas’ phone in the loft contained several drug related text messages. One seemed to be a debt list about certain people. There were also messages trying to negotiate a better price.

The defendant claimed to officers that he had only just arrived there and denied any connection to the phone.

In his basis of plea to the court, he stated he had sold drugs to users to pay off a debt. He spoke of having received threats and thought he and his family were at risk.

The wounding offence took place on March 24 in Kent Road, Blackpool.

A man was said to have spoken to him about a drug debt.

Thomas threw a single punch which caused a double jaw fracture. The victim’s partner heard a “cracking sound” and the defendant allegedly asked if she “wanted some as well”, added Miss White.

He went on to be picked out during an identity parade.

Mark Stephenson, defending, said that becoming a father since then had had a profound effect on Thomas.

“He realises it is time to grow up, to get himself away from the drugs scene.

The light has gone on and he wants to move forward in his life.

“He knows that a custodial sentence will be passed on him”.

In a separate hearing, Ryan Skiba, 23, of Cumberland Avenue, Blackpool, was given eight months jail, suspended for 18 months, with an order to do a hundred hours unpaid work.

He had admitted being concerned in the supply of cannabis over a two week period in March.

He was also present when the drugs raid took place at Ibbison Court. A phone found in the loft was attributed to him and contained messages about the street supply of cannabis.

Chris Hudson, defending, said Skiba had been dealing the drug to people he knew. He had drifted into the periphery of the drug world and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“This was a pretty significant raid with a battering ram. Some well known Blackpool drug dealers were present at the time”, the barrister told the court.

Another man linked to the case was given more than two years custody for his part. Grant Lennox was sentenced at the end of last month.