‘Heart defect’ kills dad-of-two

Kevin Cook with his two sons
Kevin Cook with his two sons
Have your say

A heartbroken mother today told of her devastation after her son was discovered dead in his home.

The body of father-of-two Kevin Cook, 34 – known as Cookie to his friends – was discovered by his father George after he failed to turn in for work.

The exact cause of his death is still unknown, but coroners have indicated he may have had an undiagnosed heart defect.

Mr Cook, who moved to Blackpool with his parents when he was 16, was well known across the town and had worked at some of its biggest venues, including the Pleasure Beach and Syndicate nightclub.

Today his mother Joan Baines told The Gazette: “George just found him (at the house). It is tragic.

“He was only 34 and a healthy, fit man.”

She added: “He (George) was in a bad state and told us to sit down. All I could hear was George on the phone saying Kevin has passed away.

“I said ‘Kevin? My Kevin?’ He just kept saying he’s died. He was breaking his heart.”

Mr Cook returned to his original hometown of Newcastle last year, where he was helping set up a business which he then wanted to expand back into Blackpool.

His mother and two sons, Tyler, seven, and four-year-old Liam, still live in the resort.

His body was found by his father at his home in Newcastle on September 4. He had spent the night before watching a film with his father and cousin.

The following morning he was due to open the shop he had set up with his dad, but failed to turn up.

Coroners are holding Mr Cook’s body at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Newcastle until test results come back, which should indicate a possible cause of death.

Mrs Baines said: “It’s a waiting game.

“We want to put him to rest, and I can’t stand the thought of him lying in that hospital. I haven’t even had the chance to see him.

“We’re just waiting while they find out why he died.”

Coroners have given an early indication to Mrs Baines that Mr Cook, described today by friends as being “full of fun”, may have had an undiagnosed heart defect.

Mrs Baines said there would be a funeral in Newcastle once Mr Cook’s body was released, then she would bring his ashes to Blackpool and hold a party.

Paying tribute to him, she said: “He doted on his sons. It is devastating.”