Woman who survived smash that killed her cousin thanks doc who saved her life

Sandie Nevison, Alexa and Andrew Duncan
Sandie Nevison, Alexa and Andrew Duncan
Share this article
Have your say

A young car crash survivor has returned to Blackpool to meet the doctor who saved her life.

Sandy Nevison, 28, needed heart surgery that lasted for 15 hours after being hit by a speeding car in Ulverston.

The accident in 2014, which killed her cousin Jessica Quayle, 19, who was walking alongside her, also left Sandy with multiple broken bones.

Despite worries she would never be able to have another child, the former beautician gave birth to Alexa Grace last summer, and returned to Blackpool Victoria Hospital’s Cardiac Centre to meet surgeon Andrew Duncan.

She said: “The last three years have completely changed my outlook on life.

“You never know when your time is up – you have to enjoy every day.

“I am so grateful that Mr Duncan was still at the hospital on the day of the crash. He is a miracle worker.

“There are no words that can describe how grateful I am to him. I really would not be still here had it not been for him, so neither would Alexa.”

Mr Duncan added: “I was delighted to see Sandy today with Alexa.

“It’s fantastic that she has recovered so well and been able to have another baby.

“She has come through a lot and still has more surgery to face. I have great admiration for her fortitude and the determination that has got her through the past two years.

“I was very happy to see her and her family today. This sort of visit really makes our task seem worthwhile.”

Sandy, who was walking her dogs down a quiet country lane at the time of the crash, was airlifted to Royal Preston Hospital before being transferred to Blackpool.

Her injuries were so severe the ambulance driver kept her fingers crossed for the whole journey.

And when she arrived, Mr Duncan was on standby to operate – despite having already worked a full shift.

“Sandy sustained a ruptured or transected aorta – the main artery in the human body, originating from the left ventricle of the heart and extending down to the abdomen – when she was hit by the car in addition to serious internal pelvic injuries and a femoral fracture,” he said.

“This is an immediately life-threatening situation and many patients will die before reaching hospital.”

Sandy had also suffered a shattered pelvis which in itself could have killed her. It was thought she may also be paralysed and she was wheelchair bound for three months.

Although Sandy has a 10 year-old son, Kieran, it was never certain that she would be able to carry another baby because of the severity of her injuries.

But she found that she was pregnant in November 2015.

She was heavily monitored both in her local hospital, Furness General, and in Manchester, before giving birth four weeks early by C section.