The Vic ward nobody would recommend

Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
Share this article
Have your say

Hospital bosses today defended a Blackpool ward after patients said they would not want their loved ones treated there.

Ward 12 at Blackpool Victoria Hospital – which specialises in stomach and intestinal conditions – was given the worst possible score in a health poll, with all patients surveyed saying they would not recommend it.

The information was published as part of the Government’s Friends and Family test, on the NHS Choice website, which is designed to monitor levels of care and give patients more information about hospital standards.

Patients fill in a form, ticking one of six boxes, to say whether they would recommend the ward to a family member or friend – being extremely likely, likely, neither, unlikely, extremely unlikely, or they don’t know.

Each ward is then given a score of between -100 and 100, with any score above 0 regarded as good.

Ward 12 scored -100, although the website shows that was based on just eight responses to the survey.

And hospital bosses say improvements have already been made.

Paul Jebb, assistant director of nursing, at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Friends and Family enables the trust to act quickly on feedback and make timely and effective improvements, which we have done on Ward 12.

“Early feedback indicated patients wanted more washing facilities and toilets and since these recommendations were made, extensive building work has taken place over the last few months to enhance privacy and dignity.

“Feedback from patient experience weekly surveys has indicated patients in that area are highly satisfied with the standard of care, with 100 per cent saying they were being treated with respect and dignity, 86 per cent rating the care as excellent or very good, with the other 14 per cent rating care as good.

“Where issues have been raised around issues such as staff attitude, or some bays being too warm, or faulty nurse call systems, we have been able to address these matters straight away. Members of Healthwatch visited the ward recently and were extremely positive.”

A spokesman for health watchdog Healthwatch Blackpool said: “The results of the test did not fit with the Healthwatch experience when we visited and the responses were from a small number of people.

“But if people have other experiences, they can feed back to Healthwatch on (01253) 345445.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.