Patient sets herself on fire in A&E horror

Blackpool Victoria Hospital Accident and Emergency Department
Blackpool Victoria Hospital Accident and Emergency Department
Share this article
Have your say

A woman doused herself in antiseptic hand gel before setting herself on fire in the A&E department of Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

Health staff rushed to the aid of the 43-year-old and police were called to the incident, witnessed by nurses and patients.

No-one else was injured during the incident which took place at the Whinney Heys Road unit at around 10.30pm on December 29.

The highly flammable liquid, made available for staff, patient and visitor use across all hospitals, was taken from a pump in the A&E department by the woman, who acted alone.

She received serious burns to her head.

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “We had a report a woman had set fire to herself and had some serious burns.

“The female had used alcohol gel and covered herself. Her throat and her face were burned.

“Police did attend and took a statement, however there was no third party involvement.”

Hospital bosses have confirmed they dealt with the incident but would not be investigating the matter further.

A spokesman also confirmed the hospital would not be reviewing the availability of hand gels to the public.

A spokesman for Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust said: “Staff at the hospital dealt with an incident in the emergency department on December 29 and the patient received the appropriate care and treatment.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.