Girls trapped in danger building

Firefighters at Fylde Farm, Poulton le Fylde
Firefighters at Fylde Farm, Poulton le Fylde
Share this article
Have your say

POLICE today backed calls for more security at a derelict school after two girls were trapped inside the building.

Children are being warned not to play in the dilapidated buildings on the Fylde Farm site after the incident on Monday.

Police received a call from the pair at around 4.15pm after they became stuck inside the former secure Dales Unit on the Fylde School complex, Normoss Road, Poulton.

The girls had gone into a room and the door had then shut behind them, preventing them from getting back out.

They were able to use their mobile phones to call the emergency services and officers were guided to the duo by other children who had also been playing at the site.

The door was forced open and the girls were freed – shaken but unharmed.

PC Dave Key, community beat manager for Poulton, said: “This incident highlights the dangers of children playing inside these derelict buildings.

“They are in a dangerous condition and children can easily become trapped or injured inside them.

“The message I want to send out to children and their parents is to keep away from these – and any other – derelict buildings.

“I would not want anyone to become seriously injured by treating these buildings as an adventure playground.”

Last month, The Gazette revealed the emergency services have attended more than 31 incidents at the Normoss Road site.

Wyre Council has given owners North West Young People’s Development Trust (NYPDT) until Saturday May 21 to secure the site.

But residents say security is not enough and all buildings on the site should be demolished.

Alex Bone, of Sefton Avenue, said the area was an absolute eyesore.

He said: “The whole thing needs pulling down. We keep hearing fire engines and police cars.

“It is very worrying. It is not nice to be woken in the night or to have your evening disrupted in this way.

“There have been three incidents in the past week, two fires and now this.

“We will sign a petition to see the whole thing pulled down. More pressure needs to be applied before there is a real tragedy.”

Chris Campbell, a volunteer caretaker at the site said there should be round-the-clock security.

He said: “I’ve offered to patrol the site but I think there should be proper 24-hour surveillance.”

NYPDT was unavailable for comment.