Gas holder towers wiped from views

The almost cleared site where the gas towers once stood
The almost cleared site where the gas towers once stood
0
Have your say

Work to dismantle two Blackpool towers has been completed.

The demolition of the gasholders, on Clifton Road, Mereside, has now been officially completed by contractor Robinson and Birdsell, with the site completely cleared.

Old picture of them dominating the skyline

Old picture of them dominating the skyline

The works were part of an ongoing nationwide programme to regenerate disused National Grid sites.

Built in 1940, the gasholders stored gas from the extensive Marton Gasworks. At its height the gasworks was a 45-acre site with its own private railway sidings.

While gasholders once performed an important function, improvements in the national gas network means they are no longer needed. The gasholders at Marton had not been used since 2010.

National grid land regeneration manager, Katherine Scargill, said: “Our work in Marton has now come to a close.

The work ran to schedule and we hope the site can have a new lease of life in the future

“The work ran to schedule and we hope the site can have a new lease of life in the future.

“We’d like to thank the local people for their understanding during the demolition.”

Members of the community with questions or comments on the project can contact National Grid’s Community Relations Team on Freephone 0808 168 7590 or email nationalgrid@martongasholders.com.

Old picture of them dominating the skyline

Old picture of them dominating the skyline