Garden car crash terror

Devonshire Ave, Thornton - car crashes through garden wall
Devonshire Ave, Thornton - car crashes through garden wall
Have your say

A MOTHER and son described how they thought ‘a bomb had exploded’ in their front garden as they lay in bed.

Sylvia Herriott, 79, and Gary Herriott, 59, of Devonshire Avenue, Thornton, were asleep when a silver Ford Galaxy ploughed through their garden wall after the driver lost control.

The woman driver was taking her daughter to school at the time, and although both got out of the vehicle, the driver was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

The Herriotts were left in shock by the collision at 8.55am yesterday, which also damaged Mr Herriott’s adapted Motability Ford Focus.

He said: “It sounded like a bomb had gone off. It has really shaken me up.

“I couldn’t believe the car was in my garden. I can’t get over how it has mounted the kerb then come over the wall.

Mrs Herriott added: “I heard a terrific bang. When I came downstairs and looked in the back garden I felt sick. I was shaking with shock and had to sit down to recover.”

Mr Herriott was forced to buy his adapted car after he was hit by a cement mixer in 2010 which left him with limited movement in his legs.

He now lives with his mother at the address after his accident and had only purchased the car 12 months ago.

The car was left with damage to its bonnet and will have to be repaired.

He added: “I was on a life support machine for two months in 2010 and this is the last thing I want when I’m trying to recover.

Since moving into the home in 1986, Mrs Herriott says she has witnessed a number of crashes on Devonshire Avenue and the junction with Rossendale Avenue.

She added: “We have talked about getting double yellow lines on the street, I think they would make people more aware. It’s an accident blackspot and I have seen four or five crashes because of speeding drivers.

“Someone needs to put speed cameras around because people drive like maniacs along Devonshire Avenue.”

A spokesman for North West Ambulance Services said: “Both people got out of the car, but the driver was checked over at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.”