Fylde back on song in seven-try blitz

Big home win for Fylde
Big home win for Fylde
Have your say

Fylde 45, Cinderford 7

An exhilarating spell - five tries in 18 minutes - killed Fylde's opponents stone dead.

It looked as though the home side had work to do when Cinderford pulled the score back to 14-7 on 58 minutes, but appearances were deceptive as Fylde cut loose with a vengeance.

Having had to display dogged defence at times, Fylde showed that when they hit their attacking straps, few sides can live with that, let alone Cinderford who looked thoroughly demoralised, not knowing that had hit them by the finish.

It was a Fylde attacking juggernaut striking them head on as the home side produced their party-pieces - a couple of their seven tries were quite spectacular, even more so given the poor conditions, which were not at all helpful to good handling.

Fylde simply over-powered Cinderford in that final quarter when they displayed no mercy and were ultra-clinical in their approach.

At the forefront of this Fylde effort was number eight Dave Fairbrother - the opposition could simply not handle him, and they must have been secretly pleased when he was sin-binned at the end of the first half.

Winger Anthony Bingham did more than enough - and a bit more besides - on his debut, while Warren Spragg and Chris Briers really found their attacking stride and Dan Birchall gave yeoman service up front along with Gareth Rawlings.

Fylde made a brisk start on a filthy, rain-swept day, Oli Brennand, sniping dangerously along the right flank after a Cinderford clearance had been charged down.

Bingham followed suit and had two early chances to score as did Brennand again on the left-wing moments later in a flurry of early activity.

That represented four chances in the matter of a couple of minutes.

The fifth chance accrued a try.

Tom Burtonwood won an important strike against the head near the Fylde line - a pushover move followed and referee Ben Blain raised his hand to signal a penalty try, goaled by Chris Johnson.

Bingham hit the space and made more ground with another strong sprint as Fylde attacked again.

Fylde, playing with wind and rain in their faces in the first half, stretched their lead on the 12th minute, a quick tap-penalty catching Cinderford unawares and Fairbrother took full advantage to barge his way over. Johnson added the goal from wide out on the right.

Cinderford had attacked only sporadically in the opening quarter, but when Fylde were penalised twice in quick succession, it gave them a platform to hit back, but Fylde held firm in a particularly telling period when the visitors tried to hit them hard - Evan Stewart was stout-hearted in defence at one particular pressure-point.

But Cinderford were clearly coming more into it and starting to test Fylde as the half progressed.

On the half-hour Fairbrother was yellow-carded and had an interesting exchange of views with the Cinderford bench when he trooped off, clearly disappointed at the referee's decision.

Cinderford piled forward in the subsequent attack, but 14-man Fylde repelled the assault with stubborn resolve, winning a penalty into the bargain.

Little had been seen of Fylde as an attacking force in the second quarter of this attritional contest

Fylde had one attacking line-out, but messed it up and could not get within the Cinderford danger-zone.

Bingham saved a possible try in the final seconds of the half as he covered superbly to deal with Harrison Yorke's probing kick, which had the Fylde defence on the retreat.

So at half-time, Fylde retained their 14-0 advantage.

Paul Arnold was on the wrong end of an illegal challenge by Cinderford's Michael Wilcox at the start of the second half, but surprisingly the referee kept the yellow card in his pocket.

Within a couple of minutes, Arnold left the field gingerly to be replaced by Joe Robinson.

Spragg nearly dodged his way over the line as Fylde took the early initiative in the second half.

Johnson made a dropped goal attempt to try and put his side three scores ahead, but his moderate effort was charged down.

Fylde's line was breached on 56 minutes when there was some exceptional handling by the Cinderford back-line, given, wet, slippy conditions.

It was kept alive well and it was left to lock Matthew Lane to bludgeon his way over. Angus Bowyer added the goal points to Lane's try.

On the hour, Johnson had the opportunity to restore the home side's two-score lead, but he hit the upright with his penalty.

Fylde pounded back and got their reward.

The action went through several phases of play, going close to the line before Brennand fished the ball out to Gareth Rawlings, surprisingly providing the overlap, and the Fylde lock touched down. Johnson missed the conversion as Fylde led 19-7 on 62 minutes.

Spragg came desperately close to notching a bonus point try for Fylde in the next attack.

The reprieve for Cinderford was only temporary.

Simon Griffiths nearly hauled himself over in one dogged manoeuvre before Brennand was again the try-provider, laying on the try for Spragg who danced his way through.

It got better on 70 minutes for Fylde, Jordan Dorrington, only recently on as a replacement for Bingham, made all of 60 yards as he took the ball as Fylde turned defence into searing attack.

Chris Briers willingly took it on in similar vein - he dummied briefly as if to pass outside, and that ploy proved decisive as he kept the ball himself to claim a copy-book try, goaled by Johnson.

On 74 minutes, Fylde cut loose yet again.

Johnson's cross-kick went straight into the hands of Scott Rawlings, who passed it on to Dorrington, who finished it all off with dash and aplomb. Johnson added the extras with the boot to bring up the 40 points.

Fylde were not finished yet and Robinson careered over from a line-out after a killer of a kick for territory by Johnson.

Fylde: Spragg; Bingham, Briers, S Rawlings, Brennand; Johnson, Nicholls; Birchall, Burtonwood, Lewis, Arnold, G Rawlings, Moon, Stewart, Fairbrother. Replacements: Griffiths, Mills, Robinson, De La Harpe, Dorrington.