‘Forgotten’ by hospital

Waiting Time: Lisa Green says son Mikey Poole was left waiting in Blackpool's  Victoria Hospital for six hours
Waiting Time: Lisa Green says son Mikey Poole was left waiting in Blackpool's Victoria Hospital for six hours
Have your say

Hospital chiefs have launched an investigation after a four-year-old boy, who had stopped breathing during a seizure, was left for SIX hours without treatment.

Lisa Green dialled 999 after her son, Mikey Poole, was suddenly taken ill at his home in Garden Terrace, South Shore.

She said an ambulance arrived within minutes, and Mikey was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital shortly after 2am on Saturday.

Miss Green said Mikey was assessed by a triage nurse and admitted into the emergency department.

But then they were left six hours to be seen after medics appeared to forget they were there. Miss Green, 31, said it was 8am before a nurse drew back the curtain and saw her and Mikey waiting.

“She asked if we were waiting to go home,” she said.

“I told her we hadn’t even been seen yet.”

Mikey had been suffering with a chest infection and tonsillitis, and suffered a seizure because of his high fever.

Miss Green said: “He had this convulsion at home and he briefly stopped breathing.

“The ambulance came straight away and I was at the hospital seven minutes after I dialled 999.

“Mikey’s heart was racing; he was very unwell.”

Miss Green, who works in a nursery, said she was told the incident would be investigated.

She said: “They brought the sister in charge to see me and she was saying she didn’t know what to say. Sorry wasn’t good enough - Mikey had slipped through the net.

“Anything could have happened to him, and he wasn’t seen or monitored.

“I felt awful for falling asleep, but Mikey should have been seen before six hours.

“The hospital completely forgot about a child who had been admitted.”

Mikey was released with a 10 day prescription for antibiotics.

Doctors told Miss Green, who has two other children aged eight and 11, she should bring him back to The Vic if his condition got worse.

“I’ll take him to Preston if he does,” she said.

“What happened to Mikey shouldn’t have happened at all - it was a mistake that should never have been made.

“I am glad the hospital is investigating, I just hope it doesn’t happen to another child.”

A spokesman at Blackpool Victoria Hospital said: “Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is sorry to hear that a family have been disappointed by the level of care in our emergency department.

“Due to patient confidentiality we are unable to discuss individual cases. We have been in contact with the family and a full investigation will be carried out into the case.

“When the investigation is complete we will share the outcome with the family and if there are any lessons learned from the investigation the Trust will ensure appropriate changes are made.”