Flats evacuated after fire starts in oven

Firefighters were called to a flat in Blackpool when a blaze broke out in a kitchen.

Saturday, 12th March 2016, 9:46 pm
Updated Saturday, 12th March 2016, 9:56 pm

Crews went to Lytham Road in South Shore at 8.25pm today to tackle a fire in an oven.

The appliance had been used for cooking and then switched off, but it was still producing heat and a fire started.

Two people left the flat and alerted their neighbours to evacuate as firefighters from South Shore arrived.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crews wore breathing apparatus while putting out the fire, which damaged the oven and the surrounding units.

It was thought that an electrical fault may have caused the fire.