Flat evacuated after severe chip pan fire

Fire crews helped the horse
Fire crews helped the horse
Share this article
Have your say

Six people managed to flee an early morning fire that ravaged a first floor flat in Lytham Road, Blackpool.

One of the residents of the flat above the Four Seasons Cafe fell asleep with a chip pan on, and was woken by a sounding smoke alarm at 2am on Saturday.

All occupants managed to evacuate themselves before firefighters arrived on scene.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “When we got there, a front window had failed and you could see flames coming out.

“It was a serious fire that has caused significant damage to the kitchen and has smoke-logged the rest of the property.

“Luckily a smoke alarm was fitted, but the message here is never to use a chip pan when you’re feeling sleepy.”