Firefighters in plea after bin fire incident

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

Firefighters in Blackpool have urged smokers to make sure their used cigarettes are properly extinguished after a fire engine had to be called out to a town centre bin blaze.

The appliance was called to the incident on Abingdon Street at noon today when the bin went up in smoke and flames.

A crew member used a bucket of cold water to successfully douse the fire.

But watch manager Warren Topp said the incident took a fire engine out of action when it might be needed elsewhere for a more serious case.

He said: “We would ask that people make sure their cigarettes are put out properly when they throw them away.

“If there had been a more serious incident at that time, we would have had one engine out of action.”