Two men were rescued from a smoke-logged flat after fire crews broke down the front door to reach them.
Firefighters from Forest Gate were called to a flat on Clevedon Road, North Shore, at 9pm yesterday after neighbours alerted them.
After not getting any response from firefighters on arrival, the front door was broken down in order to gain entry.
A Forest Gate Fire spokesman said: “A pan was left on the cooker meaning a lot of smoke was generated in the kitchen.
“The fire was out on arrival and it did not spread to other areas of the home.”
The spokesman confirmed that both men were checked over by paramedics at the scene but refused to go to hospital.