Fire rips through famous Blackpool club

Share this article
Have your say

RESIDENTS were evacuated this morning after a massive fire broke out at a famous Blackpool club.

Up to 60 firefighters were called to the Trades Club on Chadwick Street, off Central Drive, at 4.05am today.

The blaze spread to both floors of the club and police quickly sealed off the scene as flames leapt through the roof.

Around 50 residents – who could only watch in horror – were evacuated as fire crews, who had been drafted in from across the Fylde coast, attempted to tackle the flames. A gas main inside the club was on fire and crews were forced to tackle the blaze from the street and with an aerial ladder platform.

Speaking from the scene Lancashire Fire Service incident commander Simon Bone (right), said: “This is a serious fire. We could not gain access to see where the seat of the fire was due to safety reasons.

“There was a gas main that was exposed and was on fire.

“We had to make sure our firefighters and the public around were safe.

“We attended with five pumps but requested more resources to the incident. There are between 50 and 60 firefighters here.

“The residents in the immediate vicinity of the fire were evacuated. Quite clearly there was a lot of smoke coming from the fire.”FULL STORY, SEE MONDAY’S GAZETTE