A takeaway boss has been fined after inspectors found she had not done enough to clean it up.
Xue Mei Zhang, 31, pleaded guilty to nine food hygiene offences relating to the Lucky Star, on Park Road, in Blackpool.
She was fined £400, ordered to pay costs of £380 and a victim surcharge of £30 at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.
Blackpool Council said after the hearing its environmental health officers were ‘shocked’ by their findings during two visits in September of last year.
They demanded an immediate clean up on the first visit but found little had been done to remedy the issues during the two days between inspection.
Officers removed signs indicating a food hygiene rating of four, and the business was asked to close until a thorough deep clean had taken place.
The council said its inspectors found the floor was filthy with grease and food debris was visible throughout the kitchen, the bottom of the fridge – and even in the front counter area.
Grease was found dripping from the ventilation canopy and congealing on kitchen equipment controls. Utensils were dirty and some were covered in rust.
Tim Coglan, Blackpool Council service manager for public protection, said: “We had no hesitation in prosecuting the Lucky Star for failing to meet its obligations and will pursue other premises that show a disregard for public health and safety.
“We are pleased that the courts imposed a fine, and hopefully this will deter other business owners from preparing and serving food in conditions that could put the public at risk.
“We would recommend that people check the Food Standards Agency website which helps consumers choose where to eat or shop for food by giving them information about the hygiene standards in restaurants, takeaways and food shops: www.ratings.food.gov.uk.”
Zhang’s husband, who works at the takeaway, accepted a simple caution, acknowledging that he also had a responsibility to keep the kitchen clean, a Blackpool Council spokesman said after the hearing.