Feared hotel fire found to be a smoker on the second floor

Fears that a Blackpool hotel turned out to be someone smoking out of a second floor window.

Sunday, 23rd April 2017, 8:24 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:53 pm
Mount Mellory hotel

Blackpool and South Shore crews were called to the Mount Mellory Hotel on Hull Road at around 6pm on April 22.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The caller who rang the fire service thought a fire had broke out on the second floor after seeing smoke coming out of a second floor window.

But when the crews arrived they found it to just be someone smoking a cigarette.

A South Shore fire station spokesman said: “It was literally nothing. We had a call from someone thinking a fire had started but it was just someone smoking from a second floor window.”