Father-of-two killed in tragic crash

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

THE heartbroken fiancee of a Fylde father-of-two killed in an horrific crash today said: “I’m lost without him.”

Jamie Clyde died after the van he was driving crashed head-on with a lorry on St Michael’s Road, Bilsborrow.

Scene of a fatal road accident involving a white van and HGV on St Michael's Road, Bilsborrow.

Scene of a fatal road accident involving a white van and HGV on St Michael's Road, Bilsborrow.

The 31-year-old from Kirkham – a student at Myrescough College – was airlifted to hospital, but later died due to his injuries.

Fiancée Natasha Cartmell, 23, said: “We had been together for eight years – I’m lost without him.

“I’ll miss him making me giggle with his cheeky smile. ‘Jamie if you can hear me, I’ll keep my promise and I will look after the kids’.

Mr Clyde and Miss Cartmell have two children Charley, six, and Eli, four.

Miss Cartmell added: “Jamie proposed to me five years ago, but we hadn’t got married due to financial constraints.

“He loved fishing and he used to take the kids with him. On some occasions I would join them and we would make it a family outing.

“Jamie was a keen cyclist and he used to love to cycle with the children in the park.

Mr Clyde’s mother Sharon Heyes, 56, from Kirkham, said: “Jamie is my third son of five children. He was very loving and thoughtful, it never bothered him to give me a kiss hello or goodbye in front of his friends.

“He had very strong views and was never afraid to voice his opinions. I know we will miss him all.”

Mr Clyde – today described as a “popular guy” by friends – was on his way to Myerscough College when his van was in collision with the heavy goods vehicle at 9.20am yesterday.

He was cut out of his van by firefighters before being airlifted to Royal Preston Hospital where he died.

The driver of the lorry, from Tudor Turf, Sowerby, was not injured.

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance Service said: “A paramedic in a rapid response vehicle, two ambulance crew and an officer went to the scene along with the police and fire services.

“The car driver was trapped and suffered serious injuries. The hospital was informed and the patient taken by North West Air Ambulance to Royal Preston Hospital.”

Mr Clyde, a former Carr Hill High School pupil, was a keen sportsman and had played for the Stanley Arms football team in Wesham.

Friend Richard Nuttall, 28, who works at Fylde Cycles in Kirkham, told The Gazette: “I’m shocked. Jamie was a nice guy. He had a girlfriend and two children.

“He was a good person and was always willing to help.

“Jamie was a well known person and I knew him through friends and he would always speak.

“He will be remembered as a popular guy.”

Insp Damian Kitchen, from Lancashire Police, called for witnesses of the crash to come forward with information.

He said: “A full investigation into the circumstances surrounding this collision is now underway and I would appeal to anybody who may have witnessed it to contact police.

“In particular I would like to appeal to the driver or occupants of a white vehicle which was in the area at the time of the collision, who I believe may have witnessed it, to come forward.”

Anybody with any information is asked to call police on 08451 253545 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.