Family to say farewell to battling Blackpool mum

A brave Blackpool mum who dedicated her life to helping others has died from cancer.

Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 6:00 am
Sarah Colledge pictured with her two children Will and Eve last year
Sarah Colledge pictured with her two children Will and Eve last year

Sarah Colledge, 38, who was diagnosed with an aggressive from of cancer in her abdomen in 2013, died at Trinity Hospice after her condition got worse over the past few weeks.

The mum-of-two set up her own charity,Positive Peers, for people with cancer to get together, and has worked with Cancer Research UK and even been to the Houses of Parliament to talk to MPs about support for cancer patients.

Sarah performed the official start of the Race For Life last July and did a sky dive to raise money for cancer research.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Her partner Kenny Bullock said that Sarah had begun to feel unwell a few weeks ago and was admitted to Blackpool Victoria Hospital with stomach problems.

He said: “Sarah was such a strong fighter, but she was not eating very well and they put her on a drip.

“She was discharged but the problems returned and they said she should go to Trinity Hospice, but they could not send her until she was off the drip. She fought hard and managed to eat and drink so she could go to Trinity. She was so determined.”

While at Trinity the family enjoyed some happy days with Sarah using the wheelchair-friendly swings and roundabout in the grounds.

Kenny said: “The staff there were wonderful and we would like to thank them and everyone who has cared for Sarah over these past years, Macmillan and the NHS staff too.

“Sarah has always been a positive person and will be missed by all her family and friends.”

Sarah had hoped to take her family to Disneyland in Florida before she died, but was unable to fly due to a blood clot. Instead the family went to Centre Parcs to enjoy a quiet family get-together.

Kenny added: “She did go sky diving at Flookburgh last year which was absolutely brilliant. She loved it and it put a real big smile on her face and raised money for charity too.”

Sarah’s illness began in 2012. Doctors originally thought she had a fluid-filled ovarian cyst but it turned out to be cancer, which later spread to her hips and other parts of her body. Sarah underwent an 11-hour operation and several intense courses of chemotherapy after being told she would have just six months to live.

The operation initially proved successful, although the cancer returned eight months later.

Sarah’s funeral will be held at St Chad’s Church in Poulton tomorrow at 2pm.

It will be followed by a service at Carleton Crematorium at 3pm.

Kenny said Sarah had asked that no-one should wear black and the service should be a celebration of life instead.

She leaves partner Kenny, former husband Matthew and children, Eve and Will.