A CHINESE restaurant owner has been banned for life from taking part in any food business.
District Judge Jeff Brailsford told Vivian Fong Lio: “In 2009 you were convicted for similar offences but your premises once again got into an appalling state.
“I want to send out a warning to others not to allow this to happen at their premises. There has been a massive catalogue of failings which could very easily have lead people to suffer.
“What is worse is that you were prosecuted - then once again just 18 months later the premises are filthy and dangerous. It seems that more by luck than good management that people were not made ill or injured.”
The judge sitting at Blackpool Magistrates Court heard that Fylde Council health officers went to the Good Fortune restaurant and takeaway on Garstang Road South, Wesham near Kirkham after a tip off from the public.
Claire Holmes, prosecuting for the council, said that the quarry-tiled entrance was damaged and a danger and in the kitchen there was cooked and raw food stored alongside dirty pots.
The chef had no overalls and cooked rice was left in a bowl covered with a dirty towel.
Spare ribs were kept in a stained cardboard box and there was mould on satay paste and curry sauce.
A glass pane and a light fitting were held in place with parcel tape. A delivery of frozen prawns were left de-frosting on the floor.
Beansprouts which should be kept chilled were in the open and liquid used to cook duck was left outside.
Cloths were dirty and one sink had no water and another leaked. Shelving was dirty and had mould on them.
Equipment included a slicer which was dirty and had no guard, a dirty chopping board and a dirty can opener.
There was gathering of grease above work areas. Mats were curled up and were a danger to staff and there were trailing electrical cables.
The inspection lasted over three hours and all the unfit food was disposed off immediately, said Ms Holmes.
Ms Fong Lio, 43, said she was the owner of the business but was often upstairs in the flat. She just prepared vegetables and the condition in the kitchens below were the fault of the “three lazy cooks.”
The court was told Lio, of East Bank Road, had initiated a clean up at the premises which she had now sold and was being operated by the new owners.
Peter Cave, defending, said his client was suffering deteriorating health, had no money and was claiming benefits.
He said: “The defendant came to this country from South China in 1990 determined to improve her education. She accepts there has been insufficient diligence by those she employed and does not know is they had any training in food safety matters.
“Standards slipped because she was often not there to supervise.”
Lio admitted 14 offences brought under Food Safety and Health andf Safety laws.
Judge Brailsford said his sentencing was limited because the defendant had no money and could not do work for the community. Many of the offences could only be punished with fines.
Lio was put on a 16-week curfew fined £250 and ordered to pay £100 costs as well as being prohibited from being involved in the food industry.