Secondary school student ‘lucky’ to escape unharmed after faulty e-cig burns a hole in his blazer

Montgomery High School, Bispham
Montgomery High School, Bispham
Share this article
Have your say

A secondary school student was ‘lucky’ to escape harm after a faulty e-cigarette scorched a hole in his blazer pocket.

The Montgomery High School pupil escaped with just a hole in his blazer following the incident, which has sparked concern between both teachers and councillors.

Blackpool Council’s cabinet member for schools, Coun John Jones, said: “It’s worrying, it’s a terrible thing to have happened.

“E-cigarettes are not good for children’s health and it’s against the law so I know they don’t have any place in schools full stop.

“I have concerns about them being used by students and children.”

John Topping, director of resources at Montgomery’s sponsor Fylde Coast Academy Trust (FCAT) said: “E-cigarettes are banned items at Montgomery and students were aware of that rule.

“The incident was taken very seriously and fortunately the student did not sustain an injury although the blazer was damaged.”

The school would not say how old the student involved was, but said it would use the incident, believed to have happened in the canteen last Tuesday, to teach its students of the dangers of e-cigarettes.

“At all stages the school liaised with the student’s parents and the school discussed the incident with a Police and Community Support Officer (PCSO),” Mr Topping added.

“The incident was dealt with calmly by staff at the school and the potentially difficult situation did not disrupt the flow of the day at all.”

Fire crews across Lancashire have been called out to a number of incidents involving dodgy e-cigarettes in recent years, usually caused by faulty charges, spokesman John Taylor said.

A earlier this year, a nationwide alert was issued after a number of e-cigs exploded with call-outs rocketing from eight in 2012 to 62 last year.