Drug dealer burst into tears when he was caught

A drug dealer who was caught with amphetamine and ecstasy when he was stopped riding his bike in Cleveleys has been jailed for five and a half years.

Sunday, 6th March 2016, 1:23 pm
Updated Sunday, 6th March 2016, 1:31 pm
Preston Crown Court

James John Hughes, 34, burst into tears when he was stopped jumping a red light on his pedal bike at around 3.15am on August 7.

When he was searched, Hughes – who has a number of previous drugs convictions on his record – was found to be carrying 123.12g of amphetamine and 2.66g of MDMA – with a combined street value of £1,570.

He also had a set of digital scales and a mobile phone containing messages which suggested he had been selling drugs over the last day.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He told officers the drugs were for his own personal use but later pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs.

Preston Crown Court heard Hughes, of Coronation Road, Cleveleys, has a long-standing drugs problem, but since his arrest has sought help from the Inspire drugs project in Blackpool.

He has not used drugs for a month – the longest drug free period in many years, the court heard.

A pre-sentence report revealed a history of mental health problems and a ‘difficult lifestyle’.

Judge James Adkin, sentencing, said: “Analysis of your previous convictions suggests your life centres around drug taking and supplying.

“The guidelines in respect of this offending make this a minimum sentence case.

“The court must pass a sentence of at least seven years when certain conditions are made out. They are made out in this case.

“However the court has the opportunity to give credit for your plea which was entered at the earliest opportunity.

“In all the circumstances of this case, the mere fact of your mental health problems and difficult lifestyle do not reach the level that I can find it would be unjust to impose the minimum sentence.

“What I can do is give you full credit for your plea.”

Hughes sobbed in the dock as the judge handed him a sentence of five and a half years.

He made an order for the drugs and paraphernalia to be destroyed.