Driver did not see biker in fatal crash

Ballam Road (Lytham)
Ballam Road (Lytham)
Share this article
Have your say

A MOTORCYCLIST died in a horror crash on a country lane after driver did not see him coming, an inquest heard.

Paramedic Andrew Gibbins – a former bomb disposal expert – suffered multiple injuries after being flung from his bike while riding along Ballam Road, Lytham, in June last year.

The 45-year-old father-of-three collided with a Lexus car being driven by Stephen Gregson.

The driver told Blackpool’s deputy coroner Christopher Beverley he had been stationary behind other cars before turning into the driveway of his Ballam Road home when Mr Gibbins, from Warton, “hit (him) side on.”

“I indicated and stopped outside the gates waiting to go right,” said Mr Gregson, who pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court in December.

“The other cars moved forward and I’ve obviously at that point looked, thought the road was clear, continued to indicate, and moved right to my gate – believing the road to be clear.

“He hit me side on. As he hit me he tried to manoeuvre to the right to miss me at the back and he didn’t make it.”

Mr Gregson added it had been a sunny day with “an awful lot of shadow on the road” when the accident happened, and he could only assume “the reason I had not seen the motorcyclist is because of the darkness of the road and the darkness of the clothing.”

Fellow driver Matthew Brook was travelling in front of Mr Gregson and saw the crash in his rear view mirror.

“I saw the motorbike hit the Lexus at speed,” he said.

“The rider was on his side, he wasn’t moving.”

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Beverley said Mr Gibbins’ death was a “great loss”.

He said: “Clearly this was a man with a great deal of purpose in his life, serving possibly one of the most useful services you can.

“I’m sure there are countless people whose lives he saved not only as a paramedic but as a bomb disposal expert.”

Mr Gregson, 55, was banned from the road for a year and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work by magistrates in December.