Dream House fire: Two arrested

Len Curtis sorts in the fire-ravaged section
Len Curtis sorts in the fire-ravaged section
Have your say

TWO teenagers have been arrested in connection with a blaze which ripped through a Blackpool charity which supports seriously ill children and their families.

The 18-year-old Blackpool men were arrested on suspicion of arson and burglary following the fire which gutted the office and health suite of Donna’s Dream House on Chapel Street.

Len Curtis, who founded the charity with his wife Barbara after their daughter, Donna, lost her battle with cancer, said he was pleased the investigation was progressing.

He said: “The police have worked tirelessly to solve this, and we would still urge the general public to get in touch with the police if they know anything about what happened.

“We would like closure on this so we can focus on the rebuild.”

The charity had to cancel Christmas breaks for families after firebugs torched the old office building, health suite and hot tub following a burglary on December 21.

But thanks to donations of £13,000 from kind-hearted members of the public, work is already under way to get the charity back up and running. Workmen are pulling out all the stops to ensure the Dream House will open in time for March 31, when the first families are due to return.

Mr Curtis added: “We have got a temporary log cabin as an office which has been built by Kirkham Prison and KMI contractors on the Promenade have lent us a security cabin for equipment.

“In excess of £13,000 has been donated that will go directly to the Dream House. £10,000 of that will be spend on unobtrusive shutters in all the buildings and alarm systems to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Vitaline has also offered to monitor CCTV 24 hours which is a great benefit.

“All of this help means we have risen from the ashes and we can offer the service we wanted to in Donna’s memory.”

Police believe there are still people in the area with key information.

Det Sgt Steve Coleman, of Blackpool CID, said: “As a result of inquiries, two people have been arrested and will be placed on police bail. We have got a number of positive lines of inquiry, what we do need is the help of the public.

“There are individuals out there we believe hold information crucial to the investigation. We implore them to come forward.”

Call police on 101 with information.